Mani Singh Basi authors a book on ‘Stranded Spouses’.
23rd May 2023
In a book published this week by Law Brief Publishing, Mani Singh Basi provides, ‘A Practical Guide to ‘Stranded Spouses’ in Family Law’.
The book provides practitioners with a toolkit as to how the courts of England and Wales deal with the vast amount of issues that arise in stranded spouse cases. Outlining strategies practitioners can adopt when representing either parent or the subject children throughout each stage of proceedings. Furthermore it will illustrate the powers that can be utilised by virtue of the inherent jurisdiction.
In particular, this book will consider the following practical considerations for practitioners:
- The definition of stranded spouses and the case law relating to this area of the law;
- The use of the inherent jurisdiction in stranded spouse cases;
- The use of wardship in stranded spouse cases;
- The powers and purpose of the High Court and orders that can be obtained such as Tipstaff orders, disclosure orders and return orders;
- How to effectively represent applicants, respondents and children in these types of proceedings;
- The format of court hearings and how to deal with certain issues within the court arena; and
- Representing vulnerable clients and participation of parties in stranded spouse cases.