Alison Grief QC
Alison Grief QC
"Has the ability to grasp complex medical evidence and get straight to the issues. Alison is very experienced in complex cases, particularly those involving deaths of children. She is extremely hard-working, thorough and very approachable."
Chambers & Partners 2015
Year of Call: 1990
Year of Silk: 2015
Deputy Assistant Deputy Coroner Mid Kent and Medway
Deputy Assistant Deputy Coroner Hertfordshire
Alison is a specialist in the law relating to children. Her practice consists of approximately 80% Public Law acting for parents, children's guardians and competent children, local authorities and the Official Solicitor.
She has particular expertise in the following areas:
- infant deaths and near fatal injuries
- Complex injuries, in particular head injuries,
- fabricated/induced illness
- Sexual abuse including inter-familial and inter-generational abuse, incest, internet child pornography, sado-masochism, children who are both victim and abuser
- Running Care proceedings where there are concurrent criminal proceedings for murder/manslaughter/allowing a death/assault/child cruelty and neglect
- Adoption and Special Guardianship
- Judicial Review in relation to children's rights i.e. local authority duties to provide services, education and accommodation
- Private Law Children proceedings in which:-
- allegations of abuse are raised
- an expert (including the CAFCASS officer) need detailed cross examination
- there is an international element
Her skills include:
- instructed by all parties for her forensic skills. Cases frequently run into thousands of pages which include contemporaneous medical records;
- attention to detail and analysis underpin cross examination techniques of experts and lay witnesses alike, and are cited by instructing solicitors as one of their main reasons for instructing her;
- the capacity to master medical issues underpinned by regular research at the Institute of Child Health Library in order to cross examine experts in relation to their opinions and analysis.
- frequently brought into a case to 'trouble shoot' when it has become unmanageable by others, where the local authority has a conflict within its organisation, or where the children need proactive representation in order to secure the optimal Care Plan for them
- Alison's presentation in court is underpinned by her written work for which she has received particular praise from Mrs Justice Pauffley [extract of judgment available on request].
- Good knowledge of PII and disclosure arguments in relation to concurrent criminal proceedings
- The above is delivered in a straightforward down to earth manner which both lay and professional clients feel comfortable with
Alison has two very young boys and lives out of London. She is the Chairperson of their local Pre-School.
Bar Pro Bono Unit
Family Law Bar Association
Association of Lawyers for Children
Lawyers for Liberty
Co-opted member of FLBA sub-committee 2009
Family Mediation Assocation
Has a broad practice that encompasses complex areas of public and private law children matters, including allegations of physical, emotional and sexual abuse, the death of children and international relocations.
Expertise: "Has the ability to grasp complex medical evidence and get straight to the issues. Alison is very experienced in complex cases, particularly those involving deaths of children. She is extremely hard-working, thorough and very approachable."
Chambers & Partners 2015
Principally focuses on public law disputes and is well versed in all areas of children matters, from deaths and non-accidental injuries to fabricated/induced illness and sexual abuse cases.
Expertise: "Absolutely phenomenal, she's an expert in her field. She makes you feel like you are with a heavy hitter. Watching her perform in court is amazing."
Chambers & Partners 2014
Alison Grief enters the rankings for the first time after receiving strong feedback from the market. She practises exclusively in children law, concentrating in the main on public law cases such as sexual abuse and non-accidental injury. Sources relate that "she works extraordinarily hard on her cases and goes to the nth degree in terms of detail." One esteemed QC labelled her "a silk in the making."
Recommended as a leading Family Junior in Chambers and Partners 2013
A Local Authority v DB & Others 
 EWHC 4066 (Fam)
Hertfordshire County Council v H 
 EWHC 4049 (Fam)
A London Borough v A 
 EWHC 2203 (Fam)
Re A (Children) (2012)
 EWCA Civ 1278
A London Borough v M 
awaiting FLR reporting
A Local Authority v S (2009)
 EWHC 2115 (Fam); (2010) 1 FLR 1560
Re B (Children) (2008)
 UKHL 35; (2008) 3 WLR 1 : (2008) 4 All ER 1 : (2008) 2 FLR 141 : (2009) 1 AC 11 : Times, June 12, 2008
Re T (A Child) (2007)
 EWHC 455 (Fam)
Re K (Children) (2004)
 EWCA Civ 1181
A Local Authority V C & & Others (2003)
 EWHC 2206 (Fam)