Cliona specialises in the law concerning children, particularly where there is an international element. Clients like her robust and creative approach, note her attention to detail and commend her thoroughness
Year of Call: 1994
BA MA (National University of Ireland, University College Cork)
LLB (National University of Wales, College of Cardiff)
Qualified Collaborative Lawyer
Cliona is an experienced, expert barrister working as an advisor and advocate in all aspects of children law. These include:
- Arrangements for children after divorce or separation, including intractable disputes and those involving allegations of violence or abuse;
- Specific issues regarding children’s upbringing, including schooling, medical treatment and change of name;
- Requests to take children abroad, either temporarily or permanently;
- Enforcement of (and changes to) existing orders regarding children, including those made abroad;
- Children cases with an international dimension, including child abduction; and
- Cases where the local authority is involved in arranging the children’s care, including those with a foreign aspect.
Cliona represents clients before all levels of the family court, including at the Central Family Court, the High Court and the Court of Appeal. She is also a trained mediator and collaborative lawyer. She inspires confidence and combines an approachable, straightforward style with excellent attention to detail and tenacious advocacy.
Family Law Bar Association
Association of Lawyers for Children
“One of the most outstanding barristers I have ever had cause to instruct and one who is an unparalled marvel in determination and focus in acting for clients in children cases.”
Andrea Boulter, Wheelers Law
“Cliona is a formidably intelligent barrister with an outstanding knowledge of children’s law, both domestic and international. She’s always thoroughly prepared, quick-thinking, a fantastic advocate and goes more than the extra mile to argue a case. Her commitment to the client is exceptional.”
Lubna Shah, Lester Morill Solicitors
Cliona Papazian has dealt with many difficult international cases on behalf of our firm….we are impressed with her knowledge, dedication and the incredible amount of work she puts into her cases.
Gill Noury, Percy Short & Cuthbert